Peter Nalin, M.D., FAAFP
Executive Associate Dean for Educational Affairs, Indiana University School of Medicine and Associate Professor of Clinical Family Medicine
Area of Interest/Specialty:
Family Medicine/Healthcare Workforce
- Medical School: University of Vermont, College of Medicine
- Residency: Lancaster General Hospital Family Medicine Residency
- Fellowship: National Institute for Program Director Development
- Delegate, International Society for Quality in Health Care (ISQua), 2005-2007
- Member, World Organization of National Colleges and Academies of FP (WONCA) 1997-2005
- American Academy of Family Physicians AAFP:
Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicians
Member, RAP Residency Assistance Program Project Board, 2005-2006
Member, The Working Party/AFMO Steering Committee, 2004-2006
Co-Chair, Planning Committee, Program Directors Workshop PDW, 2004-2005
Member, Planning Committee, Program Directors Workshop PDW, 2003-2004
- Association of American Medical Colleges AAMC:
Director-Elect, AAMC GRA Leadership Development Course
Member, Group on Resident Affairs, July 1, 2006-present
Invited panelist, Group on Medical Student Affairs, 2009
Member, Working Group on Performance Feedback: Programs to Med Schools 2007-2009
Plenary Panel Member, 2008
Panelist, Step 2 Clinical Skills Evaluation Test, 2008
Representative, GME and Quality Care, 2006
Representative, Council of Academic Societies 2005-2006
Representative, GME and Quality Care, 2006
- American Board of Family Medicine ABFM:
Diplomat, American Board of Family Medicine (Certified 1992, Re-Certified 1998, 2005)
Diplomat, National Board of Medical Examiners
American Board of Medical Specialties & Council of Medical Specialty Societies
- ABMS CMSS:
Member, Joint Planning Committee, American Board of Medical Specialties & Council of Medical Specialty Societies, (ABMS & CMSS) 2005-2006
- Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education ACGME:
Member, Institutional Review Committee, 2009-2015
Designated Institutional Official (DIO), 2006-present
- Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors AFMRD:
Member, Nominations Committee, 2007
Chair, Nominating Committee, AFMRD, 2005-2006
Past-President, Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors AFMRD, 2005-2006
President, Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors AFMRD, 2004-2005
President-Elect, Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors AFMRD, 2003-2004
- Member-at-Large, Board of Directors, AFMRD, 2002-2003
AFMRD Representative, Family Practice Working Party/Academic Family Medicine Organizations Steering Committee (AFMO)
AFMRD Representative, Council of Medical Specialty Societies CMSS, 2002-present
Chair, AFMRD Committee on Residency Education, 2003-2005
Member, AFMRD Committee on Legislation and Federal Advocacy, 2003-2006
AFMRD Representative, National Conference of Family Practice Residents and Students
AFMRD Representative, AAFP Student Interest Summit, May 2004
AFMRD Representative, Keystone III
- Central Group on Educational Affairs CGEA:
Reviewer, Annual Meeting, 2009
- Family Medicine Education Consortium FMEC:
Panelist, Northeast Region Meeting and North Central Leadership, 10/30/2010
- Harvard Medical School Postgraduate Association:
- Organization of Program Director Associations OPDA:
Past-Chair, Organization of Program Director Associations, 2007-2009
Chair, Organization of Program Director Associations, 2005-2007
Chair-Elect, Organization of Program Director Associations, 2004-2005
Chair-Elect, Executive Committee, 2005-2007
Secretary-Treasurer, Executive Committee, 2003-2005
- Physicians for Social Responsibility PSR:
Member, Physicians for Social Responsibility, 1987-2009
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine STFM:
Member, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Member, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Leadership Development Task Force
Member, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Interest/Working Group of Deans Associated with Family Medicine 2007-present
Member, STFM Group of Deans Associated with Family Medicine, 2007-present
- Student National Medical Association Annual Medical Education Conference SNMA-AMEC:
Panelist, Overcoming Obstacles in Residency Application, April 23, 2011
- Member, Indiana Medical Education Board, 2009-2010
- Indiana Physician Workforce Group, Member, 2009-present
- Indiana Academy of Family Physicians (IAFP), Member, 2001-present
- Residency Directors Committee 2001-2006
Commission on Legislation & Governmental Affairs, 2004-present
Chairman and Moderator, Faculty Development Day, 2005
- Indiana Area Health Education Center (AHEC):
Member, Steering Committee, 2009-present,
Member, Advisory Committee, 2009-present
- Doctor-of-the-Day, Indiana Statehouse, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Medical Society of the State of New York (until 2001)
- Member, Indiana Primary Care System Review Task Force, 2010
- Indiana Physician 2009 Re-Licensure Survey Report, 2010
- Member, Advisory Board Meeting for HHMI Experiment Grant
- Member, Community Advisory Board, IUSM Lafayette, 2009-present
- Member, CHIME, 2009-2010 (Consortium for Healthcare Improvement in Medical Education)
- Member, Indiana Medical History Museum 2004-present
- Board of Directors, Cornell Alumni Association of Central NY, 2000-2001
- Member, Cornell Alumni Admissions Ambassador Network, 1998-2001
- Onondaga County (NY) Medical Society (until 2001)
- Faculty of the Year, IU Family Medicine Residency Program, 2009
- Top Docs: The 125 best physicians chosen by their peers, Indianapolis Monthly, November 2007
- A. Alan Fischer Award Recipient, Indiana Academy of Family Physicians, 2006
- Poster, IAFP Research Day 2006, Second Place Award, 2006
- Program Director Recognition Award, Bronze, AFMRD, 2005
- America's Top Family Doctors Award, 2005
- Resident Teacher Award, Society of Teachers in Family Medicine, 1992
- Member, National Eagle Scout Association, 1976-present
- Nalin P. "Family Practice Residency Training Program," Indiana Medical Education Board, $91,400.00, 7/1/05- 6/30/06.
- Nalin P. "Family Practice Residency Training Program," Indiana Medical Education Board, $91,400.00, 7/1/04- 6/30/05.
- Nalin P. "Family Practice Residency Training Program," Indiana Medical Education Board, $91,400.00, 7/1/03- 6/30/04.
- Nalin P. "Family Practice Residency Training Program," Indiana Medical Education Board, $96,000.00, 7/1/02- 6/30/03.
- Nalin P. "Family Practice Residency Training Program," Indiana Medical Education Board, $87,040.00, 7/1/02-9/30/02.
- Grannis, Sharree, Nalin PM, DFM Residency Expansion (LaFayette) grant 2010-2015
- Nalin P. (invited author) Laboratory Medicine. In Review of Family Medicine, Fourth Edition. Edward T. Bope, editor. Saunders Elsevier; 2007, Chapter 61.
- McGaha A, Garrett E, Jobe A, Nalin P, Newton W, Pugno P, Kahn, Jr. N. Responses to Medical Students' Frequently Asked Questions about Family Medicine. American Family Physician. 2007, July; 76(1): 99-106.
- Nalin P. What Causes a Fever. Scientific American. 2006, February.
- Carek P, Araujo D, and Nalin P. Scholarly Activity and Residency Training: Seeking Strategic Partnerships. Annals of Family Medicine. 2005, 3: 560-561.
- Qiu L, Nalin P, Hartman S, et al. Rhabdomyolysis in Chronic Alcoholism. Journal of the American Board of Family Practice, January 2004.
- Kochhar K, Brandt AJ, Nalin PN, Zollinger TW. "Factors Affecting the Graduates Decision to Practice in Indiana: Is there Really a Difference?" 8th Annual Physician Workforce Research Conference, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington DC, May 3-4, 2012
- Nalin PM, Zollinger TW, Kochhar K, Varma RA. "A mathematical model: What factors influence the choice of residency graduates to serve in medically underserved areas or health professional shortage areas?" 7th Annual AAMC Physician Workforce Research Conference, National Harbor, MD, May 5-6, 2011.
- Allen SE, Nakata D, Nalin P, Simons C. Invited Panel: Overcoming Obstacles in Residency Application. SNMA Region V Conference, Indianapolis, April 23, 2011.
- Kochhar K, Nalin PM, Zollinger TW. "Factors affecting the graduates' decision to practice in Indiana" AAMC Central Group of Educational Affairs 2010, Omaha NE, March 17-19, 2011.
- Nalin PM, Zollinger TW, Kochhar K. "Transitioning from graduate training to practice: Where do graduates go?" AAMC Research in Medical Education 2010, Washington DC, November 5-10, 2010.