Medical Education: ENLACE El Salvador Summer Language & Cultural Immersion
Begin application process here
The ENLACE El Salvador Language and Cultural Immersion offers an intensive summer immersion Spanish language study with onsite exposure to primary and community health care in a developing country. This experience provides one-on-one instruction in the Spanish language, using the facilities of thePajaro Flor Spanish School and the La Mora Health Clinic in Suchitoto, El Salvador. Participants study Spanish language, grammar and structure with strong emphasis on conversation. Due to the individualized nature of the instruction, students at any level of Spanish language knowledge are able to participate in this program. Students learn about health care delivery in El Salvador through observing/volunteering at the La Mora Health Clinic, interacting with El Salvadoran health care professionals, and volunteering with local development organizations.
Program components include:
- In-depth orientation sessions prior to departure
- Observation of primary and community health care programs
- Individual Spanish language instruction, 20 hours per week
- El Salvadoran family home-stay
- Variety of service learning opportunities
- Special cultural activities
- Application Deadline: February 17, 2014
This is an online application through the IUPUI i-Abroad system. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis through February 17, 2014 at midnight.
- Selection Notification: March 1, 2014
- Orientation Sessions (two) – TBA
- Travel to El Salvador – Sunday, June 8, 2014; return date Saturday, July 5, 2014. If there is enough interest, a second session may be offered July 6 - August 2, 2014. More information on making flight arrangements will be given to students selected into the program.
- Begin application process here
Application and interview required. Non-refundable $150 Program Fee for required to secure placement once selected.
Number of Participants
Up to 8 participants.
Homestays with an El Salvadoran family.
Approximately $3,000 covers a 4-week experience that includes: program fee, individual Spanish language instruction (20 hours/week), homestay with an El Salvadoran family, most meals, required texts, airport pickup & travel costs, special cultural activities and hotel/transportation/exit costs on return trip. Not included: necessary immunizations and personal weekend or end-of-trip travel expenses.
Ivan Villasboa, Javier F. Sevilla, MD and Jennifer L. Custer, BA. Sr. Villasboa is the Director of the CoCoDA; Dr. Sevilla, is faculty with the IUSM Department of Family Medicine; Ms. Custer, is the Program Manager for the ENLACE Program at the IUSM Department of Family Medicine.
For More Information
Contact Jennifer Custer, Program Manager. Phone: 317.274.6539 or email@example.com.